We have been informed that at last there is a Diocesan Library. It is located in the tower of St Andrew’s Cathedral, Inverness. To borrow a book please contact the Librarian.
The Honorary Librarian is Robert Preece who may be contacted at email email@example.com or on 01463 236916.
We trust that you will find this resource useful. Information about the library and contents is below:-
MACKINTOSH LIBRARY CATALOGUE
The Mackintosh Library is housed in the Cathedral towers. With some exceptions, material can be borrowed on application to the Honorary Librarian.
Various libraries were consolidated in 2008, to give a total of nearly 3000 volumes. Books held at the Diocesan Centre at Arpafeelie are also included in these lists, but separately listed.
The general part of the library now contains some 1400 items, and is mainly material published since about 1950. It includes a large amount of material relating to the history of the Scottish Episcopal Church, and of the Moray, Ross and Caithness Diocese, and various Anglican church reports.
Some 650 other items in the reserve stock are mainly religious books generally dating from the first half of the 20th century, including most of the standard texts of the time, and has most relevance for those with special interests or for research.
The original Mackintosh Library, along with the accompanying bookcases, was bequeathed to the Diocese, following his death in 1926, by Canon Mackintosh, who was Rector of St Michael and All Angels, Inverness. It is very much a personal collection of religious books amounting to some 800 items. A printed catalogue is available, but the listings are by shelf mark, and much of the material is in no special order. Some 140 items are not listed in the printed catalogue, but are included in these catalogues, suitably marked; some 70 listed items are missing and these are also marked. A small proportion of the books is in French; other books date from prior to 1850, including some dating back as far as the late 17th century. The material has now also been catalogued by author, but is still shelved by the original shelf marks.
A small archive contains books mainly published prior to 1850, with the earliest dating back to the end of the 16th century.
Also available through the Cathedral Library are largely complete sets of:
The Scottish Guardian and The Scottish Chronicle (the Scottish Episcopal Churchnewspaper), from 1870 to near the end of publication in the 1940ʼs
The Scottish Standard Bearer/The Scottish Churchman, 1840 to 1940 (some gaps) Scan /Outlook /New Scan /Scottish Episcopalian from 1965 to 2004
Inspires, from the start of publication in 2005
Our diocesan newsletter/magazine from 1962, as published
SEC Year Book (the Red Book) from 1878, with a few gaps
RCC Reports from 1908 to 1982, with gaps
General Synod reports from 1983.
Two versions of the catalogue are available, one classified by author, and the other, for the general and reserve stocks, on the Dewey Decimal System, so that books on particular subjects can be identified easily.
Dictionaries, music books (hymns, plainsong, etc., but not necessarily with musical notation) and reports all have specific shelves.
Anyone wishing to borrow or consult any of the books should contact Robert Preece, Honorary Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01463 236916, to arrange details.
There is no special period of length of loan, but if you wish to keep a book for more than about a month please make this clear at the time of borrowing, or contact the Librarian within the first month. The costs of return postage require to be paid by the borrower; alternatively returned books can be passed to one of the Cathedral staff, or left in the Sacristy marked: ʻFor the attention of the Librarianʼ.
The material printed before about 1850 and the serial publications are not normally available for loan, but can be consulted by arrangement with the librarian.