The Good Shepherd Window

This window depicts the Good Shepherd (John Chapter 10) and in the panel below Christ Blessing children (Matthew Chapter 19 and Mark Chapter 10).  This window was installed in 1904 in memory of His Grace the 6th Duke of Richmond and 1st of Gordon, K.G. and was unveiled, together with the St Raphael window (directly opposite), in November 1904.

The Inscription at the bottom reads:

In Memory of Charles Henry, Duke of Richmond and Gordon, born February 27th 1818 died September 27th 1903

 

 

 

Charles Henry Gordon Lennox, 6th Duke of Richmond and 1st Duke of Gordon (of the Second Creation) was born at Richmond House in Whitehall on February 27th, 1818.  He was the eldest son of the 5th Duke of Richmond and his wife, Lady Caroline Paget (the daughter of the 1st Marquess of Angelsey, the Duke of Wellington’s second-in-command at Waterloo).  He bore the courtesy title of Earl of March until his succession to the Dukedom.  He was educated at Westminster and Christ Church, Oxford.  He served in the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards and was A.D.C. to the Duke of Wellington.  In 1841, he was elected as the  Conservative M.P. for West Sussex and continued to hold that seat until he succeeded his father as Duke in October 1860.

This picture, taken around 1900, shows four generations of the Gordon Lennox Family. Seated front left is 6th Duke of Richmond and Gordon (1818-1903); seated right is the Earl of March and Kinrara (later the 7th Duke) (1845-1928); standing is Lord Settrington (later the 8th Duke) (1870-1935). The infant on the Duke’s knee is Hon. Charles Henry Gordon Lennox (the son of Lord Settrington) (1899-1919).

He served twice as President of the Board of Trade, was Lord President of the Council between 1870 and 1880 and was Secretary of State for Scotland 1885-86.  He served as Chancellor of the University of Aberdeen from 1861 until 1903 and Lord Lieutenant of Banffshire between 1879 and 1903. He received the Order of the Garter in 1867 and, in consequence of the Gordon inheritance and because of Queen Victoria’s esteem for him, he was, on January 13th, 1876, created 1st Duke of Gordon (of the Second Creation) and Earl of Kinrara.  The Duke was a noted benefactor to Gordon Chapel (particularly significant was his involvement in the renovations in the early 1870s) as well as to  the villages of Fochabers and Port Gordon.

His Grace had married on November 28th, 1843, at St George’s, Hanover Square, Frances Harriet Greville (1824-1887).  The window of St Ursula within the Chapel commemorates Duchess Frances.  Within the wider Fochabers community, Duchess Frances Harriet is commemorated by the great cairn on Whiteash hill.  They had four sons, Charles Henry (subsequently the 7th Duke), Lord Algernon Gordon Lennox, Lord Francis Gordon Lennox, Lord Walter Gordon Lennox and two daughters, Lady Caroline Gordon Lennox and Lady Florence Gordon Lennox.  Lord Francis and Lady Florence both predeceased the Duke.

The 6th Duke died at Gordon Castle, on September 27th, 1903 at the age of 85 and was buried with his ancestors in Chichester Cathedral on the October 3rd, 1903.  He was succeeded, as 7th Duke, by his eldest son.